Veterans Building 2018 World War One Armistice Centennial Committee
The World War One Armistice Centennial Committee (WW1ACC), was formed early in 2018, to create displays and exhibits to commemorate the 100th anniversary of America’s role in World War One. Their efforts were rewarded when San Francisco’s War Memorial Veterans Building and Opera House were chosen as one of the official 100 World War One Centennial Memorials by the United States World War I Centennial Commission and the Pritzker Military Museum And Library, with support of the American Legion War Memorial Commission and Veterans of Foreign Wars.
On May 23, 2018, just before Memorial Day, the WW1AC Committee unveiled eight large banners in the lobby of the San Francisco War Memorial Veterans Building. The banners tell the history of World War One… from the 1914 conflict in Europe to the November 11, 1918 Armistice and San Francisco’s tribute to the Veterans with the creation of the War Memorial Complex and Building for Veterans.
An exhibit: The Great War | WW1: The American Experience opened in November and runs through January 17, 2019 in the Veterans Gallery Room 102, Veterans Building 401 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco.
Contributions to the WW1CC project. Write checks to the San Francisco Performing Arts Center Foundation with restriction: “For the 2018 Veterans Building WW1 Display Project”
Send to: Ms. Beth Murray, Managing Director, War Memorial and Performing Arts Center; 401 Van Ness Ave., Room 110, San Francisco, CA 94102-4521
THE WORLD WAR ONE ARMISTICE CENTENNIAL COMMITTEE
- Maj. Gen. J. Michael Myatt USMC (Ret.) Committee Chair, Trustee San Francisco War Memorial
- Judge Quentin L. Kopp (Ret.), Committee Co-Chair, President Korean War Memorial Foundation
- Sal Compagno, President WW1 Historical Association
- Paul Cox USMC (Ret.) Chair American Legion War Memorial Commission
- Edgar Flowers, San Francisco Fleet Week Association
- Lt. Col. Wallace Levin CSMR, (Ret.), San Francisco War Memorial Foundation Trustee and Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Nelson Lum USA (Ret.), Co-Chair American Legion War Memorial Commission
- Dana Lombardy, WW1 History Consultant
- Ken Maley, Media Consultants
- Jonathan Roth, Professor Of History San Jose State University
- Janice Tong Special Assistant, American Legion War Memorial Commission
WORLD WAR ONE ARMISTICE CENTENNIAL PARTNERS