ALWMC Administrative Assistant Job Opening
The American Legion War Memorial Commission (ALWMC) is looking for an administrative assistant on a permanent part-time basis, five hours a day, five days a week. Office hours are 1-5pm, Mondays through Fridays, and two evening meetings each month.
The American Legion War Memorial Commission manages the veterans’ facilities and resources in the San Francisco War Memorial Veterans Building. Duties will be performed in the ALWMC Suite 101 offices at 401 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, CA 94102, and throughout the veterans’ spaces in the building.
We are looking for a problem solver, with diplomatic social, written and verbal communication skills. The Special Assistant needs to be highly organized, social media literate and able to stay on task in an occasionally busy office environment. They meet and greet the public, attend monthly meetings, generate minutes/reports, manage inventory/supplies and maintain financial accounts/reports. This person is the point person who processes/confirms/schedules/tracks use and availability for the Veterans Building’s Meeting Rooms and Veterans Gallery. Some bookkeeping/accounting, graphics sign making skills or willingness to learn is helpful.
Assistant should be able to:
• Communicate accurately and clearly both orally and in writing;
• Have good customer-service skills, and a warm and welcoming personality;
• Approach unique problems, analyze data, and come up with original innovative solutions;
• Create, revise, and maintain systems and procedures to include recordkeeping, controlling office layout and management of meeting rooms;
• Oversee the continued operation of equipment, including preventive maintenance, maintain inventory of supplies, arrange for timely repairs, evaluate and recommend new equipment purchases;
• Perform other duties customarily done by an administrative assistant;
• Assist with special projects at the discretion of the ALWMC Chair; and
• Schedule and update Meeting Rooms calendar.
Skills/Qualifications: Social media and knowledge of PC’s. Desirable skills include graphics design, accounting, and bookkeeping. Software: Quickbooks, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher) Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Creative Suites (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) or other graphics programs.
The Special Assistant must also communicate with professionalism and discretion in frequent interactions with the directors and executives from other organizations.
Compensation: $20/hour, plus reimbursement for up to $100/month for medical insurance, plus paid holidays, and paid vacation after one year.
No calls. Please submit resume and cover letter by 5 pm, Tuesday, May 7, to: War Memorial Commission, email@example.com. Interviews to be conducted May 8-10.