WW1 Centennial News: August 1918 Overview
Highlights: August 1918 Overview
- August 1918 Preview Roundtable – Dr. Edward Lengel, Katherine Akey, Theo Mayer | @02:05
- Great War Project Blog: Turning Point – Mike Shuster | @17:35
- International Report 1: Commemorations in France | @21:55
- International Report 2: The Moore Twins step up | @22:58
- Remembering Veterans: Rechickenization of France – Tracy Robinson DAR | @25:00
- Harley Davidson in WWI – Bill Jackson | @31:20
- 100 Cities / 100 Memorials: Dunmore, PA – Jim Davenport & Louise McLafferty | @37:05
- Speaking WWI: Stormtrooper | @43:00
- WWI WarTech: Stainless Steel | @45:45
- Articles & Posts: Dispatch Newsletter | @48:50
- The Buzz: Commemoration in social media – Katherine Akey | @52:55
The player below allows you to share and download the show from here as well. See buttons on the top right. Contact us if you have any questions.
Interactive transcript with “Search & Play”.
With the WW1 Centennial News Interactive Transcript, 1. click on any word in the transcript and the audio will begin to play from that word. 2. Use Control+F, or Command+F on a Mac and put in any search term to highlight in the transcript for quick “Search & Play”. 3. Copy sections of the transcript for articles.
Note: The transcript publishes 24-48 hours after the episode. If the space below is blank – check tomorrow.
PODCAST NOTES: Guest links and our research
World War One Then: August Roundtable
Dr. Edward Lengel, Host Theo Mayer, and Katherine Akey discuss the key events and themes of August 1918, including the pivotal Battle of Amiens.
Great War Project
As the Allied offensive barrels forward and German casualties mount, Berlin begins to recognize that the war is unwinnable.
World War One Now: Commission News
Commemoration season kicks into high gear in Europe, with events and reenactments scheduled in Britain and France
Tracy Robinson joins us from the Daughters of the American Revolution to discuss the contributions of the DAR during the Great War.
Bill Jackson, an archivist for Harley Davidson, joins us to tell the story of this iconic company and its motorcycles in the Great War.
100 Cities/100 Memorials
Jim Davenport, past president of the Rotary Club of Dunmore and owner of Dunmore Properties, and Louise McLafferty, retired director of the YMCA, join us to promote the new WW1 memorial in Lackawanna County, PA.
Our word for this week is Stormtrooper- no, George Lucas did not coin it!
WW1 War Tech
The subject for this week’s installment of War Tech is something we use everyday: Stainless Steel.
Articles and Posts
The highlights of this week’s weekly dispatch include: the American Society of Landscape Architecture on the approval of the Memorial design, a new Suffragettes-themed walking tour in DC, Humphrey Bogart in WW1, honoring Choctaw veterans in OK, and Doughboy MIA Corporal Clarence Hawkins. Also, check out our official merchandise!
Katherine Akey highlights our recent social media activity, including photos and articles of memorial dedications and re-dedications across America, and a WW1-themed Tuesday Trivia video from the US Army Center of Military History.
WW1 Centennial News Video Podcast on iTunes
Weekly Dispatch Newsletter